S E T T I N G (Image source)
The setting consists of these elements, which you ought to describe through the course of the story. It is up to you, however, to decide how necessary it is to do so and why.
- Which element is more important right now? Why? The most common answer is because it plays an impact on the story, so you should give it a higher priority in that particular moment. Overall we should get a feeling however brief of each or most of them.
- Why are settings important at all? Because the story is happening somewhere. Even if it’s happening in a void or in the middle of a nothingness, you could describe it. It helps making your story more memorable and your writing more vivid.
- How much should you describe? Again, there isn’t a rule. It is up to you. You’d not spend a page describing a room that plays no interesting or important part in the story, would you? If you do it, you’ll make the readers believe it is more important than it actually is, or bore them out. During the first draft you can spend as much as you want pointing out details of the environment and the space but know that during revision, they could and will get cut out if they’re not relevant whatsoever.
- The relationship between world-building and the settings: they’re directly related. If you’re creating a new world you’ll have to work through a lot of describing, and that has to do with—you guessed it—the environment. The space, time and temperature. All of these have to do with the world you’re creating if they’re different from what we normally see or if they’re not.
- Let’s say it, describing things is oftentimes quite fun and a great way to practice vocabulary and your use of metaphors and similes to show and not tell in a powerful way.
The following links provide great advice on both settings and world building and I recommend checking them out.
- Common Setting Failures
- The Senses and World Building
- Fantasy World Building Questions
- Tips on Revealing Setting
- The Rules of Quick and Dirty World Building
- The Description Pyramid
- Physical Descriptions Put Readers Into Place
- Location, Location, Location
- Creating Your Own World
Twins just born at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo
Opera singer Jackie Evancho’s performance at Radio City Music Hall on AMERICA’S GOT TALENT. Watch platinum-selling opera singer and America’s Got Talent Season 5 runner-up, Jackie Evancho performs ʺThink of Meʺ from her upcoming album ʺAwakening.ʺ
Jackie Evancho’s Rendition of Phantom Of the Opera’s ‘Think of Me’ Might Be Our Favorite Ever
Tony&Ziva | Say it with love
FAVOURITE ROYAL FASHION ∞ Princess Isabella of Denmark visiting Qaqortoq as a part of the Crown Princely family’s official visit to Greenland on 3 August 2014.
↳ The newer version of the East Greenlandic Kalaallisuut consisting of a red, white and blue beaded shirt and brown, high kamiks.
Tell me again why a women’s liberation movement is no longer needed.
Dear “I don’t need feminism” crowd…
“The Iowa Supreme Court on Friday stood by its ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant because he found her too attractive and worried he would try to start an affair. Coming to the same conclusion as it did in December, the all-male court found that bosses can fire employees they see as threats to their marriages, even if the subordinates have not engaged in flirtatious or other inappropriate behavior. The court said such firings do not count as illegal sex discrimination because they are motivated by feelings, not gender." [x]
i hope all old white men burn in hell
Are you fucking kidding me.
"Afraid to start an affair" sounds a lot like "im probably gonna assault her" to me.
ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew men are fucking gross